Welcome to Redrow: An Insider's Guide to Recruitment
Throughout my final year at University, I was continuously looking for my next step. Like many of you, I also felt slightly stressed with the prospect of an unknown future- but one thing I knew was that I wanted a job straight out of University, building a career in Planning and Property. What drove me to achieve this goal was the determination, motivation and most importantly a passion for housebuilding. You may think, “I have no experience at all in the housebuilding sector!” Don’t worry! Redrow has a range of different graduate schemes (all two-years long) that could cater for you including:
- Graduate Rotational Programme (you will spend two months in each department including: land, technical, commercial, construction, customer services and sales. After your time in each department you will get the option to specialise in two.);
- Graduate Construction Programme - a two-year programme based on our development sites, helping to manage the build process and;
- Role specific schemes – For me, this was the right path to choose as I did my degree in Urban Studies and Planning (MPlan). I specifically knew I wanted to work within Planning and continue to work towards full RTPI chartership so here I am, working at Harrow Estates (a specialist land acquisition subsidiary owned by Redrow). For you, it may be something different such as Surveying, Technical, Commercial, Sustainability, Marketing etc. There really is something for everyone!
What is crucial is that you show that you have the potential to become a future leader of the business, therefore no specific degree is required for application. Redrow are not looking for people who just want a job but someone that can offer that something extra.
What is the recruitment process like?
There are three simple stages to the process which are set out as follows:
- Online Application – The first stage of the application process requires you to fill out your details (including CV and cover letter), answer a few personality and competency questions. My advice is that you should be as honest as you can. Make sure your answers to the situational questions are in depth. What did you gain from each of your experiences and how did you overcome/ succeed? What values do you have that is the same as Redrow’s? What can you bring to the business? This gives you an idea of what you should think when answering the questions. When you are asked the question of whether you have anything else to add, I would say DON’T LEAVE IT BLANK! The more information you give about yourself, the more one gets to know you!
- Assessment day – This is your chance to shine above the others so make sure you do LOTS of research and be as well equipped for the assessment day as you can! Everyone else in the room is in the same boat as you. Don’t let others overshadow you! This does not necessarily mean that you have to have the loudest voice in the room. What it is does mean is that you need to be confident, engaging, personable and let others know of your presence (e.g. ask questions). You want to be as relaxed as possible so the best thing you can do is RESEARCH! If you know your stuff, you will naturally perform better as you aren’t constantly worrying. Some things you may want to research on are: the history of Steve Morgan and Redrow, current housing schemes and government legislation affecting the housebuilding industry, company ethics,awards, Annual Report, MyRedrow etc. You may not be able to remember everything you’ve read, but make sure you are at least aware of them, and get some key facts. A good unique fact that would make the interviewers think you know your stuff! You want the interviewers to remember you. Remember to SMILE and speak with confidence!
- Interview – This was quite a relaxed interview so I don’t think you’ll have much to worry about as long as you make sure you are prepared. Try and have at least one good question to ask them and do the best you can.
What was the post-offer/ onboarding process like?
You will find out around March/ April whether you have been successful with your application. There will be constant support throughout the whole process so you don’t need to worry. Clare (New Entrant Programme Manager) and her team are very helpful!
If you have been successful, you will receive a phone call and shortly after that an email telling you what to do next. I found this extremely helpful as everything I needed to know prior to my commencement could be found online including contract, pensions, bank details etc. You also get text alerts too which help if you don't check your email every day. All the documents you need to complete before commencement are online as well as all the company information you need to know. Overall, the experience prior to starting at Redrow is really smooth and stress free!
Why choose Redrow?
There are many housebuilders in the UK but I wanted to work for a business that I believe in, which is why I chose Redrow. The quality of our product sets itself apart from its competitors which is something that I am really proud of. You will be able to tell the difference and there’s no doubt about that! The Graduate Programmes at Redrow are quite flexible which suits me as it allows you to have freedom to steer your own learning. We all have different ways of learning which Redrow understand, therefore your programme can be tailored towards you.
....a few final tips
- Have a bigger picture focus. How does Redrow sit alongside other competitors? What is happening to UK legislation, buying and lending, government initiatives which could change the housebuilding industry? Read the news to keep up-to-date.
- As daunting as it may seem at assessment days, speak to others and introduce yourself. The assessors are looking at how you interact with others so bear this in mind.
- Just be yourself and enjoy the process. Whether you are successful or not, no one can take away the experiences you gain from the process. These experiences can only build you up to be an even stronger and successful individual. Have confidence and believe in yourself!
I hope you have found this blog and my experiences helpful. All the best with your applications and future. I hope to see you here at Redrow soon!
If you want any further info, take a look at our Graduate booklet attached below.
Or, if you want to ask one of our current graduates a question, tweet us @Redrowplc and use #RedrowGraduates